Watercolor

Appledore House, Isles of Shoals

Mid to late 19th Century / Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900)

VP170_Appledore_House_Isle_of_Shoals_1849_6in.jpg

Located on Appledore Island at the Isles of Shoals, the Appledore House was built in 1847 by Thomas Laighton and Levi Thaxter. It opened June 15, 1848. The Appledore became a busy resort, and in 1905 delegates in Portsmouth for the Russo-Japanese Peace Treaty discussions visited for a reception. The hotel was lost to a fire in 1914.

According to Celia Thaxter, in Celia Thaxter, Among the Isles of Shoals [Boston: J.R. Osgood and Company, 1873], as late as 1873, "Philip Babb, or some evil-minded descendant of his, haunted Appledore."

~ Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900), “Appledore House, Isles of Shoals,” Portsmouth Public Library's Online Archives, accessed November 21, 2017, http://portsmouthexhibits.org/items/show/705.

Full Item Record

Dublin Core

Title

Appledore House, Isles of Shoals

Description

Located on Appledore Island at the Isles of Shoals, the Appledore House was built in 1847 by Thomas Laighton and Levi Thaxter. It opened June 15, 1848. The Appledore became a busy resort, and in 1905 delegates in Portsmouth for the Russo-Japanese Peace Treaty discussions visited for a reception. The hotel was lost to a fire in 1914.

According to Celia Thaxter, in Celia Thaxter, Among the Isles of Shoals [Boston: J.R. Osgood and Company, 1873], as late as 1873, "Philip Babb, or some evil-minded descendant of his, haunted Appledore."

Creator

Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900)

Source

Portsmouth Public Library, Art and Artifact Collection

Date

Mid to late 19th Century

Contributor

Special Collections, Portsmouth Public Library

Format

JPG, derived from TFF

Type

Watercolor

Identifier

Views of Portsmouth 170

Watercolor Item Type Metadata

Inscription Title

Appledore House, Shoals. 1849

PPL Accession #

1989.60.170

Provenance

Gift of Mary A. Foster, 1901