Watercolor

Benning Wentworth House (side)

Mid to late 19th Century / Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900)

VP036_BenningWentworthHouse_side_6in.jpg

Excerpted from The Portsmouth Guide Book, 1896, by Sarah Haven Foster...

"One of the best known and most visited of the historical places in our neighborhood. The house was built in 1750, by Gov. Benning Wentworth, who resided her until his death in 1770. He was appointed Governor of New Hampshire in 1741, at the time of the final separation of this state from Massachusetts, and his rather stormy administration continued until 1766, when he was succeeded by his nephew, John Wentworth. In 1755, being left a widower, he married his housemaid, Martha Hilton, the heroine of Longfellow’s poem of “Lady Wentworth.” At his death, he left the estate to her, and she soon afterward married Col. Michael Wentworth, and English officer, not related to her first husband. Col. Wentworth had seen good service in Europe, having been engaged in 1745 at the battle of Culloden, under the Duke of Cumberland, and at the battle of Fontenoy in France, in 1746.

During Washington’s visit to Portsmouth in 1789, Col. Wentworth, entertained him at his residence. In 1800 John Wentworth, a grandson of Mark Hunking, married the Colonel’s daughter Martha, and resided here until they went to Europe in 1816.

The estate was then purchased by Charles Cushing, who married a daughter of Jacob Sheafe, and it remained in his family until 1885. The house originally contained 52 rooms, but their number has been somewhat reduced. The cellarage is very extensive, and was arranged for the stabling of 30 horses in time of danger. The whole establishment has been preserved as far as possible has been preserved as far as possible in its ancient form, and the surroundings are most picturesque."

~ Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900), “Benning Wentworth House (side),” Portsmouth Public Library's Online Archives, accessed December 13, 2018, http://portsmouthexhibits.org/items/show/840.

Full Item Record

Dublin Core

Title

Benning Wentworth House (side)

Description

Excerpted from The Portsmouth Guide Book, 1896, by Sarah Haven Foster...

"One of the best known and most visited of the historical places in our neighborhood. The house was built in 1750, by Gov. Benning Wentworth, who resided her until his death in 1770. He was appointed Governor of New Hampshire in 1741, at the time of the final separation of this state from Massachusetts, and his rather stormy administration continued until 1766, when he was succeeded by his nephew, John Wentworth. In 1755, being left a widower, he married his housemaid, Martha Hilton, the heroine of Longfellow’s poem of “Lady Wentworth.” At his death, he left the estate to her, and she soon afterward married Col. Michael Wentworth, and English officer, not related to her first husband. Col. Wentworth had seen good service in Europe, having been engaged in 1745 at the battle of Culloden, under the Duke of Cumberland, and at the battle of Fontenoy in France, in 1746.

During Washington’s visit to Portsmouth in 1789, Col. Wentworth, entertained him at his residence. In 1800 John Wentworth, a grandson of Mark Hunking, married the Colonel’s daughter Martha, and resided here until they went to Europe in 1816.

The estate was then purchased by Charles Cushing, who married a daughter of Jacob Sheafe, and it remained in his family until 1885. The house originally contained 52 rooms, but their number has been somewhat reduced. The cellarage is very extensive, and was arranged for the stabling of 30 horses in time of danger. The whole establishment has been preserved as far as possible has been preserved as far as possible in its ancient form, and the surroundings are most picturesque."

Creator

Sarah Haven Foster (1827-1900)

Source

Portsmouth Public Library, Art and Artifact Collection

Date

Mid to late 19th Century

Contributor

Special Collections, Portsmouth Public Library

Format

JPG, derived from TFF

Type

Watercolor

Identifier

Views of Portsmouth 36

Watercolor Item Type Metadata

Inscription Title

Gov. Wentworth House - Little Harbor, 1750

PPL Accession #

1989.60.36

Provenance

Gift of Mary A. Foster, 1901